Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Peanut Butter Banana Cupcakes

Tonight I got hungry.  I needed something sweet.  So after dinner, I started rummaging the kitchen to see what I had in there.  In the fridge I had some leftover peanut butter buttercream.  On the counter sat a near rotten very ripe banana.  That made the perfect combination to make a peanut butter banana cupcake.  
I have the most perfect recipe for banana cake E.V.E.R.  I dare you to try and find one better.  (Seriously, please try and report back if you happen to find one better because I'd love to have it!) This recipe comes from the Mount Calvary Baptist Church cookbook courtesy of Ms. Diane Pickers.  This is my favorite cookbook, not because of all the delicious recipes it contains, but because of the people who contributed to it.  This is the church where I grew up, so each time I make one of these recipes, I get to think about the person who submitted it and it always brings back such great memories.  For instance, Ms Diane was always a youth chaperone (and cook) whenever the youth group took a trip.  She would always wake us up in the mornings with her famous "Uppy Puppy" routine.  (You had to be there!)
Anyway, back to the cupcake...
Ingredients:
1/2 c. butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1 c or 2-3 mashed bananas (The riper the better.  If it's covered in spots, turning brown, and looks like it's on the verge of throwing away...it's PERFECT!)
1 1/2 c AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 c buttermilk (I think the buttermilk makes this recipe!)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped pecans (optional, but I ALWAYS add them!)


Cream together butter, sugar, eggs, and bananas.  Add remaining ingredients. (See, this is another reason I like this recipe...it's simple!)  Bake in a greased/floured tube pan at 350 degrees for 40-45 min. 
For cupcakes: 22 min.


And now for the best part: the browned butter glaze!
2 T butter
1/2 tsp vaniila
2 T evaporated milk
1 c powdered sugar


Over low heat, brown butter until light brown (it will continue to brown once removed from heat).  Add remaining ingredients and pour over warm cake.   *If it's too thick, add more evaporated milk.
{For the cupcakes,  I put this filling in the center and then topped with peanut butter buttercream.}


For the peanut butter buttercream, I just made my regular buttercream and added 1/2 c. creamy peanut butter.  Delish!


I hope you all try this one and let me know how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment